Quote ∣ Jeremy Rifkin

 

Disclaimer: The quote which you will see in english is translated directly from me, since the english version of the quote could not be found.


 
 

About a year ago, I came across a book called '자기혁명' which in english translates to 'Self Revolution'. Reading this book was one of the best reading experience I ever had in my life as this book attacked and questioned some of the most fundamental, yet extremely vital questions that our society should ponder.

While reading this book, I was able to find quite a number of amazing quotations and phrases which answered some of my questions that I was asking to our society. But there was one quote from Jeremy Rifkin that just blew my mind. Reading page 162 of this book, the quote was this:

 
 
 
사회학자들은 지난 20만 년간의 인류문명 발전이 그동안 이 땅에 살아온 모든 인류의 노력의 결과라고 말한다. 이것은 모든 인류의 경의를 표하는 우아한 시각이지만 진실은 아니다. 지금까지 문명과 문화의 발달은 0.1 퍼센트의 창의적 인간이 다른 사람은 생각하지 못하는 것을 생각하고, 다른 사람은 꿈꾸지 않는 것을 꿈꾸며, 모두가 보지 못하는 어두운 곳에 깃발을 꽂고 이곳이 젖과 꿀이 흐르는 새로운 땅이라고 외치면, 0.9퍼센트의 안목있는 인간만이 그것을 알아보고 그들과 협력하고 후훤하며 새로운 문명을 건설한 결과다. 나머지 99퍼센트는 이 1퍼센트가 모든 것의 기초를 닦고, 새로운 계단을 놓고 난 다음에야 비로소 그 위에 올라와 세상 참 많이 달라졌다는 감탄사를 연발하며 또다시 그곳에 안주한다.
— 자기혁명, p. 162 (엔트로피 (Entropy) - 제레미 리프킨)
Sociologists say that the development of human civilization for the past two hundred thousand years is a result due to all the effort made by all the human beings. This is an elegant perspective to express the respect to all human beings, however not the truth. The development of human civilization is the result of when the 0.1 percent of creative individual, thinking what humanity have never thought of, dreaming something that other people never dreamt about, putting a flag in a darkest places where humanity have never saw and shouts that this is the land that milk and honey flow, the other 0.9 percent of people with insights sees the value then co-operates and supports the 0.1 percent, finally creating a new civilization. After the 1 percent completed all the foundations and made the stairs for the new civilization, then the rest of 99 percent of humanity goes up the stairs and marvel that the world has changed so much and then again, settle down as they did before.
— Entropy, Jeremy Rifkin
 
 

I have to admit that this quote is absolutely beautiful; Jeremy Rifkin was able to condense something very fundamental and extremely true into one paragraph which described the process of development of human civilization in an elegant manner. We can make reference this quote to the world that we live in right now. Individuals such as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Larry Page and Sergey Brin etc, all these figures are the 0.1 percent of creative individuals who have placed their flag and shouted out. And indeed the other 0.9 percent of humanity have recognized the value and invested which apparently changed our world into digital information era in the 21st century.

Recently, I was able to know who  Elon Musk is and the work he has achieved and doing at the moment. And I think this individual is one of the individuals who I found very inspiring and creative. I think he will, and already is, change the world and be considered as one of the individual in the 21st century who made contribution which starts the next generation of civilization of human development. 

Doing works such as Tesla, Space X, Paypal, Solar city, Elon Musk has achieved and working now surely hit me hard with a shock. But a different kind of shock, because I was thinking of doing something related to these categories of work but someone already started it. Considering the effect that his work will have an impact to the world will be phenomenal, and I consider him as the one of the individual who is the 0.1 percent from to the quote.

Many individuals of the 0.1 percent will be marked in a page in human history and new 0.1 percent will arise waiting to be written. I, as a person who is blessed to be able to live in a era where I am living with people such as Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, am excited to see whats the next move, the next 'big thing' which will change the world. This, at least to me, is one of the thing worth living for.